Scanning and Editing your Old Photos
Create a digital album of your precious memories and share it online with friends and family.
Add to basket £36.00
In partnership with:
What is the course about?
With this step by step online guide for beginners, you’ll learn to scan, edit, enhance, and create digital albums of your precious photos and documents. You’ll also discover how to archive and share these usable copies with friends and relatives.
Is this the right course for me?
- You may have old photos, slides, negatives, newspaper clippings and other documents that you wish to have usable copies of - to save online, to give to others, to enter in competitions, to include in your family research
- You don’t need previous experience in digital photography or scanning, as the technical details are explained in simple terms; but you’ll need basic knowledge of using a computer and the internet
- This course is a great complement to the Family History and Digital Photography courses
- You will need software to adjust and edit your scans, which will either come with the scanner you've purchased or you can use a free image editor. For more information, read the free section 'Setting up' in Unit 1.
Why should I choose this course?
- Protect your precious old photos and news clippings from damage and loss by creating usable copies.
- Learn simple but effective tips to enhance old images in poor condition.
- Build your confidence with practical advice on the most common problems of scanning and editing.
- Discover ways to save you time and effort.
- Complete the course with practical takeaways as you scan, copy and edit some of your old photos, and begin to use them online.
- The course is supported by The Royal Photographic Society.
- Based on the book ‘Simple Steps to Scanning your old Photos’ written by Heather Morris and published by Prentice Hall. Heather has written many easy-to-use books on common technologies.
How will I learn?
- You’ll be guided by Craig Rowe our friendly tutor, and by videos showing step-by-step how to scan, edit and enhance your images.
- You’ll be able to record your progress and thoughts about your new skills and projects in the Workbook.
- You can start the estimated 8-10 hours of online learning whenever you want.
- Learn and work at your own pace in the comfort of your home, revisiting the content as often as you wish.
- It’s all in one place: topic information, quizzes, online and offline activities, and videos on how to work with your photos.
- Come back to the learners’ forum for further advice.
What will I study?
- Course Introduction
- Unit 1: Getting Started - setting up and performing a simple scan
- Unit 2: Edit, Repair, Enhance your scans with scanner and editing software
- Unit 3: Negatives and Slides – adjusting settings and using the right scanning tools
- Unit 4: Batch scanning and special projects – saving time, Black and white and colour images, newspapers and oversized photos
- Unit 5: Using your scans – archiving, sharing, printing your newly repaired and enhanced images.
"Very professional look and feel. It gives me the confidence that the material is of high standard."
"The tutorial videos are extremely useful, possibly essential to see the steps required with hardware and software."
"The sections with the video content are engaging and there are useful links to software in 'Setting Up'. Well structured and it gives me a sense of getting to grips with the details."
"I like the use of the demonstration – really helps the user understand how this works."