Find out about your ancestors and their world.
Add to basket £38.00
In partnership with:
What is the course about?
Research your family history using internet resources including census, military and parish records.
Is this the right course for me?
Start exploring a fascinating field that could become a passion. Have you ever wanted to uncover lost family secrets or create your own family tree? Or perhaps you’re looking for a gift for someone interested in the past?
Most people can trace their family back several generations, and you could even go back hundreds of years. However far you go, this is the perfect way to start discovering your family’s stories.
Why should I choose this course?
History author and former teacher, John Child, is your video tutor, drawing on his own experiences of researching his ancestors.
Mel Donnelly of Imperial War Museums has researched family and military history for 20 years. She helps you find out about people who fought in the British Army.
As you learn you’ll create your personal album for your family’s enjoyment and fascination.
How will I learn?
- Start the course whenever you choose.
- Work at your own pace in the comfort of your home.
- Video tutors guide you at every step of the way.
- Over ten hours of online learning.
- Topic information, quizzes, online research and breakout activities away from the screen.
- Save your answers in your personal Workbook for reference.
- Learn online on your computer or mobile device.
What will I study?
- Course introduction
- Unit 1: Using the 1901 Census
- Unit 2: Keeping track of your records
- Unit 3: Building Backwards - 1891 - 1841 Census records
- Unit 4: Birth, Marriage and Death records
- Unit 5: Baptism, Marriage and Burial records
- Unit 6: Military Ancestors - The British Army in the First World War
- Unit 7: Other resources
- Family History Workbook
"Well laid out, good for study morale. It was fun and thought-provoking, brings you closer to your ancestors. Quite emotional really."
"It means finding quality information that you would not otherwise find, it is gold dust!"
"Enjoyable experience, a worthwhile relevant subject and clear concise course."
"Very informative and a great learning tool... everything seems to be at your fingertips."
"I'm currently working my way through John's excellent course and I am inexpressibly thankful for having stumbled upon this course this early in my family history research; the wealth of information presented, and the clear steps in which it is presented, had me feeling immediately comfortable and confident. I'd traced my family back a generation in the first half hour of the course!"
submitted by Jay from Australia